Japan 8th Army Military Government Section WWII Letter

This letter was written by a Lieutenant who was with the 8th Army Military Government Section, in Tokyo, Japan. He was part of the Army of occupation. From the letter…….

Dear Mother and Daddy,  

Nothing much very exciting has been happening this week. If I was in the states I sure could use this spare time to some advantage, but over here the incentive just isn’t present. Maybe with the coming of spring I’ll have a change of attitude.
   Please don’t misinterpret my letters. I don’t ever recall writing that I had written the Kinard boy. All I wrote was that I guessed I would, or should drop him a note. As a matter of fact, I haven’t written him or gone to any trouble to look him up. I have never seen him before, and I hate to go look him up without being able to entertain him a little in Tokyo. If I did try to entreating him in Tokyo, I’m afraid it would be a little embarrassing for both of us. I eat with the G.H.Q. officers, and can get a pass for a guest officer, but not an enlisted man. The same applies to our movies. If I bring him in to Tokyo, we would have to eat at least one meal here. I don’t know any of the enlisted messes, and I would hate to drive up to one, drop him off, and tell him I would be by to pick him up latter. If we had our own mess, it would be different, or if I knew him better, it would also make a difference. Oh, I guess I could put some of my bars on him, and take him in, but having never met him, I don’t know what he would think about that. If I went out to see him, the same would be true of his difficulties with me. Don’t misunderstand me, the army is not so hard hearted, that some arrangements for just such situation can’t be made, but it would b rather awkward in a case of tow strangers, especially when one is James Kinard. Now don’t blame the army, for it is basically right. It is a peculiar organization, where the only incentive for carrying out orders is discipline, and one fo the main premises of discipline is lack of familiarity. The army is a team, and can’t look out for individual hardships of it’s members caused as the result of a basically sound policy. Well, I’m getting around to defending the army’s policies, so I know I had better stop.  I will add one more statement, however, that being that if more civilians, and even soldiers would look at the policies of the army and navey including all policies from an objective view point the U.S. and even the world would be a lot better off in the future. Oh no, I wouldn’t stay in the army a day longer than I have to, but  lot more fellow would if John Q. Public would take off his glasses (colored).
   Well, since I’m all worked up over the army, and for lack of anything else to write about, I guess I had might as well continue. However, before I do, I really should apologize for making you endure all my whaling and moaning, for it sis not really you who are concerned. I noticed in the paper this morning where some congressman was advocating drastically cutting army appropriations, so they wouldn’t have enough funds to feed and house the men, and as a result would have to discharge them en mass. Anyone capable of making such a statement ought to, out of deference to posterity, volunteer to have his brain extracted, on the spot, and pickled, so that down through the ages all can behold the best example in the 20th century, of the largest piece of matter, which in fact, was composed of absolutely nothing.  If that is the consensus of public opinion, and if they do not have any more regard for America’s responsibility to herself and the rest of the world, they out to do one of 2 things immediately before it is too late: 1. Dissolve the national government and mandate themselves to wither Russia or Great Britain for guidance and protection, or 2. Start digging holes and storing up food, so as to have a real deep dark place in which to hide about 25 years from now.
   It is imperative that we always have a large army, and even more important during the next 5 years. If any form of occupation or disarmament is to be carried out, our army cannot be much greatly reduced in size any time within 1946. I doubt if many people in the states realize that the Japs, and I guess the Germans, are disarming themselves, and more than that running our army for us. The Mil. Govt. Unit we are attached to in Tokyo is so depleted of enlisted men that the Japanese English speaking typists and clerks out number the American typists and clerks, 2 to 1. Of course, they have to type all our material classified as confidential, restricted, and eve in some instances secret. Don’t misunderstand me, I’m all in favor of discharging fellow that have been in the army for a while, but replacements must be provided. My heart really bleeds when I think of all the hardships and evils the youth, and future youth of the country would be subjected to by a nominal active tour of duty in the army. By George, if the army isn’t good enough for them, then the rest of the country isn’t good enough either.  
   Well, I’m not really cynical at heart, maybe I’ve just been seeing too many movies, or the Stars and Stripes has been printing the wrong kind of articles, but then, Time, and Newsweek haven’t been doing so bad themselves. I guess I should warn you, and beat myself to the jump, unquestionably within a month I’ll be moaning and groaning about getting out, and the unfairness of the army. In fact, as I recall, I have already begun to do that. I guess it is just one of the little idiosyncrasies of human beings, and at no time will everyone be satisfied with the way everything is being run. Now I have said my piece, and I hope the subject is closed, at least, I know you do. However I imagine that as soon as I read something else, and can’t find a soap box (as they are very short on soap over here), you will again be subjected to a deluge of worthless remarks. 

Lots of love,


No comments: