Clovis Army Air Feild Letter May 31, 1945

This letter was written by a soldier at Clovis Army Air Field, Clovis, New Mexico. From the letter…..

Dear Mom and Dad,

    It is now 10:30 PM and I have just finished up my ground school classes for the day. I have been going to classes since 9 AM until now. There is more to this dam airplane than I ever though there was.
     I stated in this class a week behind the rest of them and I’m having quite a job catching up to them. You can tell that bum Jack that his B-17 is a little toy long side of this flying electrical ship. I have to take up engineering and the CFC system beside the rest of my little jobs, like being an armor gunner. I never knew there could be so dam much in one airplane. I also have to preflight all four engines before take off.
   I received a letter from you today besides one from Norma. I am awfully worr3ed about here as she wants to come down here so bad it’s getting the best of her nerves. I can’t do much until she lets me know when she is coming.
   I know how happy you both are that Jack is finally home. What’s this I hear you’re not doing very good at bowling Jack.
   Well it’s time for me to hit the sack now so I’ll sign off now. Good night and all my love.    


Titled: Clovis, New Mexico. Soldiers of the United States Army Railroad Battalion study welding at the locomotive ships in the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad. Left to right: Private Edward Dravis of Minnesota; Earl Weidinger, instructor and welder; and Sergeant Arthur Cannon of Indiana. 
Photo Courtesy of Library of Congress Prints & Photographs Division Washington, DC
Photographer: Jack Delano

Call #LC-USW3- 020609-E [P&P]

No comments: