British Soldier WWII Letter India R.A.F. 1943

This letter was written by a British Soldier, with the R.A.F. (Royal Air Force), in India. The letter was written April 17, 1943. From the letter…..

Dear Mum and All,
   It is with the greatest of pleasure that I write you these few lines hoping that it finds you all at home in the very best of health as at writing it leaves me the same.
   I haven’t very much news for you, but as it is raining and we can’t go out I am writing to pass the evening away. Bob and I had been out doing a spot of fishing in the pond near here when we had to pack up because of the rain. I managed to catch a small one before we came in, something like a gudgeon, but with a larger head, don’t think that there are only small ones in the pond because I’ve only been catching them. There are some big ones. There is a big one which keeps jumping up in the middle of the pond, Bob keeps trying for it because he lost one of his hooks on a big one and he things that it might be the one that he had on.
   We haven’t been doing much fishing as there is a bit of work to do in the day, and they can always remember Bob’s and my name when there is some work about, and it gets dark rather early so we don’t get much time for fishing, after all there is a war on, or is there.
   Thanks very much for the airmail you have been sending me, it has started getting here a bit more regular now. I’m glad to hear that everything is alright at home. I’m glad to hear that Fred is getting on OK at his job also with the girls, tell him to leave me a few.
   Talking about him getting all inky at his job you should see me with the fountain pen I’m using, it is a cheap one I bought from one of the natives, and I have more ink on my hands than I’m putting on the paper, but we have to make the most of the things we have, things are very dear out here.
   I guess this letter will take a long time in reaching you as it will be going by sea mail, but I know a line is always welcome and it may come at a time when you are not getting any other letters. I sent a letter to dad and mum about Feb. which I hope you got by now. I’m afraid I haven’t much more news so I must bring this letter to a close.
   Bob sends his best wishes to you all and hope that you are all in the very best of health.
   Cheerio, all the very bet of love and kisses to one and all. Good night and God bless you all.


No comments: