North Africa 29th Station Hospital WWII Letter 1942

This letter was written by a soldier, who was with the 29th Station Hospital, “Somewhere in North Africa” December 1942. From the letter…..

   It has been sometime since, I have heard from you, I do hope all of you are well and feeling fine.
   My Christmas was spoiled when we got notice that we were moving again. I had everything arranged for dinner and supper on Christmas day with an English family. For they treated me swell. About (censor cut out something) before Christmas we when on another boat ride an what a trip it was. The first thing the sea was very wild, and the food on the boat was bearable. Well anyway we landed safe in North African.. The country itself seems to be a wonderful place and I think it is better than England. The only thing is that we will have to understand the Abra and learn what they are talking about. We have our tent set up, and sleeping on the ground. During the day it is very hot here, and in the evening it gets cold.
   Christmas eve they put me on guard from 4 to 8 in the evening. Then we had a few kegs of beer so we sat up until 10 o’clock to drink it. At 11 o’clock, we went to a little town for a midnight Mass. I received holy communion at that mass, and I though that was the best Christmas I could ever enjoy. At 4 o’clock in the morning they woke me up again for guard.
   I do not know if this letter will get to you, because there has been quite a few letters lost. Keep on writing and praying because we sure can use it.

Sincerely yours,

No comments: