African American Marine Camp Lejeune WWII Letter 1943

This letter was written by an African American Marine, who was at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina. He was writing to a young lady at Louisiana Normal (sometimes referred to as Louisiana Negro Normal), now Grambling State University. From the letter…..

   I’ve finished filling the pails. Gee! It’s the toughest thing I’ve had to accomplish yet. My marriage may be the next toughest. I’ll bring the rings and not send them in that my policy is “Be sure you are right and then go ahead.” It’s not that I don’t trust you but I must keep all policies.
   I think of my furlough often. I’ll probably get it in the next 7 weeks. I want everything to be on the ball, I’m not taking any “stuff” from Nobody. It’ll probably be around Xmas so there’s nothing in the way for me to be. The mail boy is here so, Goodbye, 


No comments: