USS Arizona Pearl Harbor Letter July 25, 1936

This letter was written by a sailor serving on the USS Arizona, at Pearl Harbor, July 29, 1936. The return address on the envelope has a return address of USS Nevada, because he is returning to the USS Nevada, which is his home ship. The envelope is postmarked USS Arizona. From the letter….

Dear Mother,
   I don’t have much time so I won’t be able to write much, but I wanted to tell you that I got orders this morning out of a clear sky to return to San Pedro today via the U.S.S. Boggs, a destroyer. It is now 11:45 AM and we are due to sail shortly after noon although I do not know the exact time. I’m just as glad I’m’ going back because it will be much nicer to be on my own ship again where I can get to everything and start working again.
   School is officially over tomorrow, but there’s nothing going on of any importance right now so I won’t miss anything. The ship is going out for five days of tactics on the third, too, which would leave less than ever to do. I don’t have my books here so I can’t do any real studying and I’m terribly tired of being idle. Beside, I’m supposed to be in engineering on the Nevada now and I’m anxious to get back and get started on that. So you see it is the best thing I could have hoped for. The rainy season is coming on now and it is becoming a bit unpleasant. I can see, too, where if I stay away longer I’ll be spending too much money.
   Had another letter from Kathie last week and everything is great with her. She is very successful where she is from what I can gather and is really making a name for herself.
   Well, momsy, I’ve got to get my junk up on deck ready to leave. I’ll write as soon as we get back to Pedro which will be the 4th or 5th of August.

Loads of Love,


1 comment:

flyingscot2364 said...

Thousands of letters like this every day. They saved the country. The "Greatest Generation".