USS Healy DD-672 WWII Letter October 1943

Written by a sailor serving aboard the USS Healy DD-672, during WWII, in October 1943. From the letter……

   Will write a few lines to let you know I am well and thinking of you. I have been receiving your mail. You don’t know how happy it makes me when I receive letters from you. We had a movie last night. It was called “The Badman From Missouri”. It was a pretty good picture. All movies are good to us……I took out an allotment of $50.00 a month to send home to my mother. She will put it in the bank for me. After the war I want to have enough to buy a small home……..As for my baseball days. I played professional baseball when I was in high school. I used to play under another name. I played a little pro baseball in the summers when I finished high school. When I worked at the Hamilton Watch Factory, I played outlaw baseball over weekends. That is unorganized baseball. I always wanted to go to college. The Washington Senators came around to see me about going to a college in ?. I was to get everything free if I would play baseball for the college and then belong to the Senators chain. It just happened at the time we needed money at home, so I went to work. That was my big opportunity but I had to miss it. I never told my mother the whole story, or she would have wanted me to go……
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: